Open House : Polish Pioneers Monument
Kings Park Walkway
This memorial honours the Polish Pioneers who settled in Launceston after World War II between 1947 and 1957. With the invaluable support of the community these migrants were presented many opportunities to advance themselves and create a new life in their adopted state of Tasmania.
The memorial was funded privately by the Polish Pioneers Foundation from the sale of the Dom Polski (Polish House) in 2013. The Monument itself is sited on either side of a public walkway connecting Launceston’s CBD to the Cataract George. It is positioned to encourage public engagement and interaction. There are bronze plaques located on each of the eight columns featuring educational dialogue on the monument and who the polish pioneers were.